This vibrant and tropical fruit is in season and brings flavours of summer. As well as supplying your fruit bowl with sunshine, they are an absolute goldmine of nutrients. We’ve also got a delicious anti-inflammatory smoothie recipe for you to get you feeling all tropical!
Check out the top 6 benefits:
1. They are packed with the antioxidant vitamin C, we all know this is good for the immune system but it’s also crucial for fighting free radicals and inducing collagen production, pineapple will therefore help maintain the skins elasticity and youthful glow as well as healthy tendons, ligaments, joints…
2. Pineapple contains the phytochemical Bromelein found in the core of the fruit, this is anti-Inflammatory and excellent for digestive health. Bromelein contains digestive enzymes specific to breaking down proteins. Many pre-chopped pineapples no longer have the ‘woody’ core left so make sure to eat fresh, whole pineapple. Top tip: eat a slice of pineapple before a protein rich meal (ie steak) as it will help you to digest and absorb the amino acids.
3. It is a great source of the mineral manganese and vitamin Thiamin (B1) these help with energy extraction (from foods) and production.
4. B6 is also present in pineapple, this wonder vitamin aids with proper hormonal function (helping to keep homeostasis). The body also needs B6 for more than 100 enzyme reactions involved in the metabolism. It also helps keep your immune system in top shape and is essential for brain development throughout pregnancy and infancy.
5. It has a good amount of the mineral copper, this is a co-factor of antioxidant production, copper is also central in building strong tissue, bones and collagen, it maintains blood volume and helps with energy production. Oral contraceptives (along with other medication) deplete levels of copper, zinc and magnesium, it’s important to keep them topped up.
6. It is very high in fibre, which is obviously great at reducing cholesterol and maintaining a beautifully functioning digestive system.
Top tip: Chop it into little pieces and pop it in the freezer, it can be used for smoothies, or to cool and flavour water (tastes great with fresh mint).
Greeña Colada Smoothie
Try this Greeña Colada smoothie, perfect for a hot summers day to fuel your body with vitamins, minerals and healthy fats to boost your metabolism and immune system.
- 1 cup (packed) baby Spinach
- 2 Romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped pineapple (including the woody core)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk/cream
- 1/4 cup water
- Optional: A few mint leaves, 1 tbsp coconut yogurt, ice, squeeze of lime
Blitz in your blender until smooth, you can then decorate with a tiny cocktail umbrella or a chunk of pineapple for a totally tropical experience.